I sat behind the blinking cursor and the pressing thought is…”Dana are you going to do this the easy way or the hard way?”
I told you short and sweet.
I am going to try and stick with it. But I’m warning you it will be difficult to keep my word. The more I study the passage the more I see. I thought limiting the verses to no more than three or so would help. However, it did’t.
My roadmap looks something like this…
I am starting with one passage and doing my study like a scavenger hunt. I believe most of my “clues” stem from references, word associations and the Holy Spirit. As for the references, I will use them in levels.
1. Cross References
Cross references are found in most study bibles. I am using five translations.
- English Standard Version (ESV),
- New Living Translation (NLT),
- Amplified Bible (AMP),
- New American Standard Bible (NASB95) and
- King James Version (KJV).
I’m using several resources:
- My study bible’s dictionary and concordance,
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary,
- Strong’s Numbers, and
- Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary.
I am trying to stay away from commentaries, not the entire month but I would like to build these “understandings” based on scripture.
- Matthew Henry’s Concise Commentary, and
- A few handbooks in my library
I had no other way to describe it. But to make it simple, I hope, think of it like hop scotch. You jump from 1 to 3. Not because it is sequential but because you want to know if you can jump that far without stepping on the lines. 🙂
Also, word associations will give me wiggle room to explore what my studying triggers within.
The Holy Spirit
The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit is our teacher. It has the ability to bring to remembrance all that we’ve learned. All that God has shown us.
All that our walk with Christ has revealed.
This entire process will be clothed in prayer.
I will study the passage.
- I plan to visually work my way through studying. (Let me know if you would like to see one or two.)
- I will expand with the references.
- I hope to write a post less than 300 words.
Why are you sharing all of this…
…get to the good stuff…
I know, I know.
But I had to write this out. I started on the first post and I almost forgot. 🙂 Also, I think it would help anyone who would like to join me.
I’ll “see” you tomorrow. I plan to write about Philippians 4:8-9.
[reminder] Are there any verses you would recommend?
Click HERE to view all the posts.
Get the posts by email HERE.