I can’t believe I have blogged every single day for a week. I’m amazed. 🙂
Today, we will continue with our time in John 15:1-17.
I have to ask, am I the only one who thinks “abide” when you see “continue”? 😉 Let’s get to it.
Abiding in His Appointment
This passage ends with us reading the differences between servants, friends and disciples of Jesus.
- Servants are not acquainted with the “things” Jesus makes available because they do not know their master’s business (v 15).
- Servants are acquainted with Jesus but are not personally familiar with who He is and what He is doing (v 15).
- Servants may even be aware of His commands (v 14).
- Friends know Jesus’ commands (v 14).
- Friends follow Jesus’ command to love one another (v 12, 14).
- Friends have access to everything Jesus learned from God (v 15).
- Friends know what He is doing (v 15).
- Disciples are friends with Jesus (v 14).
- Disciples love others as Jesus loves (v 12, 14).
- Disciples bear much fruit (v 16).
- Disciples are chosen by Jesus (v 16).
- Disciples are appointed to share the good news with others (v 16).
- Disciples bear fruit and their fruit bears fruit (v 16).
- Disciples bear fruit that will last (v 16).
Disciples continue in what Jesus has shared…His teachings, His life, His ministry, His love. Thus, they continue in His appointment, which ultimately furthers His kingdom.
The Wrap Up
Monday, which seems so long ago, we started on this quick, yet, hopefully, enlightening walk through John 15:1-17. Since, I have shared two key thoughts as to why you want to be a follower of Christ who is productive—one who is fruitful for the kingdom of God. They are as follows, and I will wrap it up with the final thought.
1. Followers of Jesus who abide in Him glorify God;
2. Followers of Jesus who abide in Him follow His example; and
3. Followers of Jesus who abide in Him further His kingdom.
That my friends is a wrap!
Consider this: I wrote with a broad stroke. There are other elements I could have focused on. Is there something in particular you have a question on or would like for me to consider for a future post?
(Click HERE to view all the posts.)