Meditation of My Heart is a monthly series. I hope to share a piece of my heart to inspire you to let God into yours.
In the past, I thought loving others and living my life according to God’s word was enough. Watching these videos slapped me awake because if the world is viewing this overt displays of lust, pride, and selfish actions I have to consider my role. What am I doing to ensure they know about the price Jesus paid for our lives? That His love is real. How am I ensuring that they know He is the only way?
Early one morning, I took care of my personal business. Read the word. Then I made my way to the computer. I pressed “Play” on my Praise and Worship playlist and readied myself for my few office tasks. What happened next shook me to my core.
I somehow landed on a YouTube video where an extremely prominent American leader held a conversation that led a discussion as to whether Jesus is the only way. A commenter in the audience said, “Yes!”. The discussion leader disagreed and decided “not to have a religious debate.”
I then saw another video that featured several acclaimed musicians and it appeared to glorify darkness. It, in the most graphic fashion, illuminated pride. My plans were not to write this post today, but God had other plans for my morning. These videos have unnerved me because they surfaced after talking with my husband about the work God has for us. We discussed it at length. We walked away excited, full of encouragement and thankful to God for trusting us with such a task. I went from an extreme high to being smacked in the face by reality. I watched the videos and my heart ached, literally.
I wish I could fully communicate it, but I can’t. However, I will say this. We are called to boldly proclaim God’s word to everyone. Everyone. In the past I thought loving others and living my life according to God’s word was enough. Watching these videos slapped me awake because if the world is viewing this overt displays of lust, pride, and selfish actions I have to consider my role. What am I doing to ensure they know about the price Jesus paid for our lives? That His love is real. How am I ensuring that they know He is the only way. We as God’s people must boldly share His message. We cannot compromise. I believe living a quiet life only concerned about the people around me was a compromise. I could have done more. When you know better, you do better. I know. It's time to show!
(9) Haven't I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take. Read online.
1 John 2:15-17
(15) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (16) For everything in the world–the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does–comes not from the Father but from the world. (17) The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. Read online.
Journal and/or reflect on the following questions:
- What activities do you love to extreme in your life?
- How does participating in such activities affect your relationship with God?
- Do you activity share God’s word with others? If not, why?
- What call does God have on your life? How will you work towards answering His call?
- How will you boldly show that you are a child of God?
Father, Thank you for this moment of clarity. Thank you for this moment and outward manifestation of the state of things as you may see it. The times that we live in. The need for your presence and your word. But most of all, the need for your salvation. I ask God to make me usable for your purpose. That I will not be timid. That I too will be all things to all men, so that You might save some. That I boldly share the gospel and that my actions conform to your purpose. And I pray for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that I may know You better. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Questions: What call does God have on your life? How will you work towards answering His call?